HOW TO RIGHT-SIZE YOUR HOME FOR THE SUMMER
Home Industries Expert, Gale Steves Offers Simple Pre-Summer Changes
“Before you head outdoors this summer,” Steves says, “take a good, long look at your house. You may be surprised to discover that things have been accumulating since you last cleared out or cleaned up.” She has all kinds of tips and helpful advice to help get our homes and ourselves ready for summer in plenty of time for our July 4th barbecues. Here are a few easy steps to take that are guaranteed to make a “right-sizing” difference:
- Make room in your coat closet – Review the contents of your coat closet for out of season jackets, coats, scarves, or even boots that were never put away for seasonal storage. This is a good opportunity to discard the worn-out or too small or repair those missing buttons.
- Get control of your picnic gear - Gather all those paper plates, cups, and plastic utensils onto one central shelf so that you can create an instant eating outdoors center. Include some trays or baskets if you will carry ingredients or meals out to the patio or deck.
- Evaluate your beach towels – Pull out large bath sheets that no longer work and recycle into backyard or beach towels. At the end of the summer, send them onto further use at the local Humane Society or animal shelter.
- Take a good look at your pantry – Rearrange cans or boxes of food supplies together that make quick warm-weather meals section. Canned soups that can be served cold or boxed mixes that make instant desserts. You want to be outside, not inside cooking over a hot stove.
- Look at your casual shoes - Assess your sneakers, sandals, and flip-flops held over from last year and throw away those that are showing wear and tear. This is a good chance to make room for new footwear and not still hold onto the old.
- Give your bedroom a summer makeover – Refresh your bedding with some new sheets and pillowcases. Get rid of those bed linens that have seen better days. Do not recycle them to your guest room, however.
For ten years Gale Steves served as editor-in-chief of Home magazine. Under her management, the publication attracted over four million readers nationwide, and established her as an authority on everything to do with the home. Steves’ approach to decorating and remodeling has inspired millions with ideas and real solutions for the home, earning her a reader-friendly reputation along the way.
In 2001, Steves formed Open House Productions, a home industries consulting company, to create an ongoing dialogue between consumers and retailers and manufacturers. It was in response to consumer queries about making their homes more livable that she developed the concept of Right-Sizing.
Get to know more about Gale Steves through her website, www.right-sizing.com and her SpaceSmarts blog. Also, be sure to check out her wonderful book Right-Sizing Your Home: How to Make Your House Fit Your Lifestyle for great tips on how to make the best use of your home.